Exact Match Domain (EMD) update was announced by Google back in September 2012. The update was aimed at restricting low-quality sites from ranking well in the search engine. Before EMD Update, low-quality websites would rank high in the Google search engine just because they had search terms matching with the domain names of top quality websites.
When the user used to enter a search term in the Google search field, the domain name of the poor quality sites would appear at the top. After EMD update of the Google, only those websites which improved their content regained good ranking and those which failed to do so dropped to the bottom.
Since the date of its release, 28, September 2012, there has been a lot of talk about it. It has been covered extensively by news channels, tech sites, and bloggers. In this blog post, we would focus on the implications of the update on the businesses.
As expected, after the release of EMD update by Google, exact match domains started falling like dry leaves and started losing out to bigger brands. Its impact was not only felt by exact match domains but also by channels and countries. It had also a strong impact in the Retail, Gambling, Travel, and Finance verticals.
Earlier exact match domains backed by sufficient Search Engine Optimization would ensure strong visibility in the Search Engines. Due to a higher proportion of exact match domains, the high-quality websites would suffer and usually rank low if not backed by strong SEO.
Benefits of Google EMD Update for Bigger Brands
The EMD update of Google provided big brands with an opportunity to gain the lost ground and push the exact match domains to the bottom of the search engine.
The EMD update provides a competitive advantage to the websites possessing quality content. Before this update, the ranking was much easier, now it became difficult. Now, Google judges the quality of the content on a website and then ranks it accordingly.
Some startups and novices were upset by the Google EMD update. Some of them even called it a conspiracy by Google to provide an edge to bigger businesses and keep startups from ranking higher in its search engine.
This update affected the sites that would use keywords as their domain name but the quality of their content was not good. But it didn’t produce any kind of effect on the websites on quality websites that don’t over optimize their website for ranks. In fact, the ranking of such websites improved considerably as a major chunk of the websites in their competition ranked automatically low after the launch of the EMD update by Google.
The criterion to Define a Low-Quality Site
1. The low- quality websites stuff content with keywords. The usage of keywords in an aggressive way makes the content confusing and less readable. The user experience suffers as the content remains no longer informative or useful.
Must Read: Google Panda Update: A Complete Guide
2. The authority of a website is determined by the quality as well as the number of backlinks. The presence of backlinks from other sites is an assurance that the site is trusted. Having more number of backlinks gives a website better trust score. The good quality sites having more backlinks are considered more trustworthy than the bad sites having no or a very few backlinks.
3. If you will get the links from websites ranking lower in the Google, after the EMD update, Google can list them as spam links which can leave a drastic effect on the credibility of the site.
How to Improve the Rank of Your Website?
If EMD Google update has affected the ranking of your site, don’t worry there is a way that can help you get a site up again. Here are some of the websites that will set your site on a good path again:
1. Do a content cleans up on an immediate basis. Revise it if you feel there is a need to do so. Make your content relevant, unique and useful. Keep the density of keywords less, otherwise, Google can mark your content spam.
2. Fix pages that have been over optimized. Double check your pages as you can become a victim of another Google update. Remove the keywords that are stuffed in excess to give your copy some lexical richness.
3. High bounce rates indicate that there is no relevant content on the page what visitors expect. They are searching for one thing and find something different on their page.
4. Get backlinks from top rank websites that will be a proof you are part of a trustworthy group of people.
5. Engage people with beautiful images, text stories, and videos etc. Make people talk about your site that will eventually boost the ranking of your site.
6. Ensure, you are providing your users with the most relevant information, they are looking for.
- emd updateexact match domain updategoogle algorithmgoogle emd algogoogle emd updategoogle exact match domain algorithm